Sunday, March 2, 2008

Just for Kicks

Emma's dance team took 1st place at a tournament in Apple Valley today!

Grandpa Nichols and I drove her down early so she could practice, while Saima came a bit later with Betty and Kate. First thing after we got there Emma had to go find her team. The sign on the door said something like "No boys allowed beyond this point". So, grandpa and I had to just wish her luck and hope the coach was in there somewhere.

About an hour and half later we were ready to start hunting for a seat in the bleachers, which were so packed the announcer kept asking that anyone not there specifically for the next group of dancers to please exit. But we were fortunate enough to get seats up high enough and on the right side to get some good pictures.

Katelyn first noticed Emma's team milling about next to the bleachers where we were sitting. They would be the second team to dance in their category so the were on deck. She was trying not to act nervous, but I caught her biting her nails a couple of times. Katelyn kept saying they were going to screw up, though I'm sure she just parroting the mistakes that Emma had been dwelling on since their last performance.

I (Darin) was running the camera today. Huh?! I know, I couldn't believe it either. I practiced up on the performances leading up to Emma's and once they finally hit the floor I don't think I took my eye out of the view finder. After all five or six teams had danced Saima thought they had done well enough to place, but Bruce was holding up just one finger.

Of course, after they had called the third and second place winners we all had big smiles on our faces. But I don't think the dancers had any clue until the actually called "Delano!". The looks on their faces at that moment are some of the best pictures in the bunch (and of course, Saima had taken over by then).

We picked up a couple of roses to compliment her shiny new blue ribbon and stopped off at Coldstone for ice cream on the way home. I don't think there's much that could ruin her day today... even roast beef and carrots for dinner. ;-)

1 comment:

1 Craaazy Mamma! said...

Whoo-hoo Emma!!! What a great dance you performed. I wish I could have been there to share in your day, I'm sure it was a blast. Keep up the good work Emma! :)