Thursday, September 2, 2010

Day 2: Bears


Woke up to everything damp outside and cool temps.... luckly no rain tho! The clouds were neat this morning so I took some pics out front of the cabin and Kate even posed for some. Bronson had a blast fishing his way in the lake (nose diving). Course he didn’t catch any but he tried. The beach is pretty shallow so Bronson can go well past the dock and still only be up to his belly. Then we went up to the lodge to enjoy some internet while Kate played with Gavin and Claire.. more legos. Around lunch time Kate and I headed into town for some italian lunch at a local cafe... the lasagna was super yummy and kate tried breaded cauliflower and broccoli! They were a hit!

After lunch we headed just a mile outside of Ely to the North American Bear Center. Wow what an experience. There were three bears that were enclosed in a 2 acre forested wooded area. They fed them about a half hour after we arrived. The bears were polite while they wait for food. They were given lots of grapes, apples and carrots. I was having a blast photographing them. What a dream! We listened to an informational talk about the bears. Towards the end the two males started wrestling with each other which made everyone scatter to watch. At the end of their play one went to drink out of the pond and the youngest got in and swam for a while. It was so fun seeing them in such a natural environment.

Our plan was to go to a bear sanctuary about an hour away after super but storms came in and altered our plans. We’ll have to do that with Darin and Emma. So Kate and I wondered around the Ely stores downtown. I managed to find The Jim Brandenburg art gallery I’ve always wanted to see. Darin and I have attended a seminar of JIm’s in the cities and I follow his blog. He lives in the Ely area and is a nationally known photographer. I have a print in mind that I would love to get.. but I’ll have to get Darin’s opinion.

I did get a phone call from Darin this afternoon.. which was quickly dropped! But he managed to text me and said they were fine and having a good time. He texted later saying they had not caught any fish yet.. bummer Kate and I are wondering how they are doing in this storm we’ve been getting all evening. There have been some thunder but not much and I haven’t seen any lightening. Not much wind either so I’m no so worried about their safety.... just hope they are dry.

One last thing, this afternoon between our Bear Center experience and dinner we came back to the cabin. Kate went swimming with her friend Gavin while I took a nap on a chair on the shore. I kept thinking how perfectly weird the weather is.. I’m wearing a sweatshirt (which is heaven for me) and she’s swimming. It was probably 68 degrees out!

No comments: